A vegan appetizer we can’t get enough of
Tomato Soup with Israeli Couscous
Serves four to six
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 1 14-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6¼ c. vegan vegetable stock
- 1-1½ c. uncooked Israeli couscous
- 2-3 mint sprigs, chopped, or several pinches of dried mint
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro (about 5 sprigs), chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and carrots, and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add the tomatoes, half the garlic, vegetable stock, couscous, mint, cumin, and cilantro.
2. Bring the soup to a boil, add the remaining chopped garlic, then lower the heat slightly and simmer gently 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the couscous is just tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.