Dandruff isn’t the only common scalp affliction. From scalp acne to psoriasis, there’s a wide array of skin irritations common to the scalp. And even a healthy scalp needs a little bit of tender loving care, especially during the winter months. Try out one of these nurturing products to treat common scalp concerns and restore your scalp’s health.
Hairsprays, gels, serums, shampoos, conditioners and masks – most women (and men!) have an entire arsenal of products designed exclusively for the hair. But what about the scalp? If you’ve been neglecting your scalp thus far, maybe it’s time for a change. In this article, you’ll learn about soothing, cleansing and moisturizing scalp products, from gentle shampoos to mega-moisturizers.
1. Balance scalp oils. Phyto Phytopolleine Botanical Scalp Treatment is a balancing product formulated with 100 percent essential oils. It works on both oily and dry scalps, helping to improve microcirculation and regulate oil production of the scalp. Eucalyptus and lemon oils make this treatment refreshing and purifying, and regular use can help with product build-up on the scalp’s surface.
- Try it if: You’re a fan of natural beauty products and want to restore balance and health to your scalp, as well as clarify the scalp of product build-up.
2. Cleanse daily without over-drying. Molton Brown Radiant Lili Pili Hair Wash is a super-mild cleanser that you can use every day to refresh the scalp without stripping the scalp’s protective layer. It rinses completely without leaving any residue or scalp build-up behind, and has an uplifting aroma that’s sure to please the senses.
- Try it if: You need to gently cleanse and revive your scalp on a daily basis with a milder shampoo.
3. Style and protect. Alterna BAMBOO Men Thickening Gel Lotion with SPF 15 Scalp Shield works as a volumizing styling gel and treatment product in one, making it perfect for the guy on the go. This weightless gel won’t irritate a delicate scalp or weigh the hair down, and is free from mineral oil that can cause breakouts. Key ingredients include organic bamboo extract to strengthen, and hemp seed oil to nourish. And with built-in SPF 15, he won’t even have to think about daily sun protection.
- Try it if: You’re a guy who wants a styling product that offers protective and strengthening ingredients, and are a fan of organic and sustainable ingredients.
4. Revive a tired scalp. Sundari Neem and Eucalyptus Cooling Scalp Oil is a cooling oil that rejuvenates the scalp and stimulates circulation – while also stimulating the senses. It contains coconut and safflower oil for optimal hydration. To get even more benefits, use it for a scalp massage!
- Try it if: Long days, stress or jet lag are taking a toll on your skin and mood, and you want to improve your overall scalp health.
5. Encourage hair growth. DS Laboratories Revita Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo is a gentle cleansing formula chock-full of benefits for those with thinning hair, such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients. This is a very safe treatment for all skin types, although some individuals might have sensitivity to the powerful ingredients in this formula – talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
- Try it if: You need a powerful formula to stimulate new hair growth and also increase the thickness and diameter of individual hair strands for more volume.
6. Relieve itching and flaking. Philip B Anti flake Relief Shampoo is a medicated cleanser that contains the active ingredients zinc omadine and coaltar, in addition to natural ingredients like aloe vera, tea tree oil, sage, chamomile and juniper berry. This refreshing formula both cleanses and moisturizes, for a healthy, happy scalp.
- Try it if: You have a condition like psoriasis or dandruff and want to try a formula that combines natural ingredients in addition to more traditional anti-flaking ingredients.
7. Clarify for shiny, healthy hair. June Jacobs Citrus Clarifying Shampoo is a gentle way to cut greasiness and thoroughly cleanse the hair and scalp of any build-up. Lemon extract leaves the scalp feeling fresh, and antioxidants protect the scalp from environmental damage. And because it’s free from sulfates and preservatives, you can rest assured that it’ll be kind to your hair.
- Try it if: Your hair and scalp are on the oily side and you want a weekly cleanser to get rid of any product build-up and refresh your scalp, using gentle and natural ingredients.
8. Cleanse on the go. Ojon Full Detox Rub Out Dry Cleansing Spray is a great quick-fix when you don’t have time to shampoo. Unlike powder formulas, the Ojon Cleansing Spray is virtually invisible and won’t leave behind any tell-tale powder residue – just spray and go. Your hair will look and smell cleaner, with more volume.
- Try it if: You need to refresh your hair in a pinch – whether it’s because you don’t have time to shower after hitting the gym or you just hit the snooze button too many times in the morning.
9. Replenish scalp moisture. PHYTOSPECIFIC Revitalizing Treatment, Dry Hair and Scalp provides a dose of hydration for moisture-starved hair. This scalp-stimulating treatment is formulated with a super-hydrating blend of vegetal and active plant oils, essential lipids and peanut and castor oils. Keratin is added to protect the hair shaft and leave you with shinier hair.
- Try it if: You struggle with a constantly dry scalp and frizzy, curly or unmanageable hair, and want a treatment to calm and smooth unruly strands.
10. Undo damage and repair breakage. Dr. Miracle’s “Feel It” Formula Intensive Spot Serum Hair & Scalp Treatment is a first-aid product for damaged hair and can restore blood flow to the scalp while improving hair growth. Simply massage a small amount onto the scalp – you’ll feel a tingling sensation as the serum starts to work. After using on the scalp, rub some of the product onto the ends of your hair to mend split ends and condition dry hair.
- Try it if: You have dry, damaged hair and want to improve hair growth and restore your hair and scalp to a healthier state.
The key to a healthy scalp is a gentle regimen of cleansing and conditioning, combined with restorative products to address concerns like acne, dandruff, dryness or thinning hair. With scalp products designed for virtually every hair type or skin concern, what have you got to lose?