To complete your Mexican meal, make this recipe for flour tortillas. Homemade flour tortillas are soft and warm and make the rest of the food even more delicious. Eat warm flour tortillas stuffed with rice and beans, with beef or chicken fajitas, or make a delicious dessert by eating them with butter and honey.
To make this recipe for flour tortillas, you will need:
- 2 cups white flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for recipe, more for skillet
- 3/4 cup water
- Rolling pin
- Mix together the dry ingredients. Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- Mix oil and water. Use warm water and stir 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil.
- Spoon the oil and water into the dry mixture. One spoonful at a time, stir the oil and water into the dry ingredients using a fork. Stir and continue adding the oil and water until mixed thoroughly.
- Knead the dough. Flour a flat surface and sprinkle flour on top of the ball of flour tortilla dough. Add flour to your hands to keep them from sticking to the dough. Continue adding a small amount of flour as you knead the dough. When the dough is smooth and no longer sticky, set the ball of dough in the bowl.
- Let it rise. Cover the bowl with a slightly damp kitchen towel and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Make individual tortillas. Pinch off small balls of dough and roll out the flour tortillas on a floured surface. Make the flour tortillas about 6 to 7 inches diameter.
- Cook the flour tortillas. Turn the heat on high on a heavy-bottomed skillet. You won’t need oil if the skillet is heavy enough. Cook lightly on both sides about a minute total.