Hot Knives Bloggers Share a Recipe
We don’t mean to be a pepper, but the apple-a-day routine is a snooze.
Hot Knives food bloggers Alex Brown and Evan George have given us a more inspired way to pack in our veggies. Their new vegetarian cookbook, Salad Daze, goes bananas with flavorful fall and winter dishes such as portobello poutine and kohlrabi latkes.
Each recipe is paired with suds and a song. Here, the guys share how to make hot squash ice cream, which they suggest enjoying with a La Trappe Quadrupel Koningshoeven and “Pacer,” by The Amps. We guarantee it’ll perk you right up.
Hot Squash Ice Cream
For the pecan dirt and horchata shot
1 c. raw pecans
2 c. filtered water
4 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. fresh nutmeg
1 tsp. cardamom
1. Soak pecans in filtered water overnight in a container with a lid.
2. The next day, strain them over a bowl to separate nuts from pecan milk. Pulse nuts in a food processor for several minutes; slowly drizzle pecan milk back in to help them move. Let sit a few minutes.
3. Pour the mixture into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl; press out the moisture from the pecan pulp.
4. Preheat oven to 200º. Spread the pecan pulp onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 30 minutes, stirring with a spoon every 5 minutes.
5. Pour the strained nut milk into a saucepot over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp. brown sugar along with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Once milk boils, whisk and simmer several minutes.
6. After 30 minutes of stirring pecan dirt, remove and add 2 tbsp. brown sugar and cardamom. Salt to taste. Pulse this mixture again; keep warm until ready to serve.
For the ice cream
1 butternut squash
¼ c. stout beer
Mulled maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Split the squash and remove seeds.
2. Place squash face down in a roasting dish sprayed with canola oil; cover with foil. Cook 15 minutes and press against backsides. They should react like a ripe avocado. Remove foil and splash with beer. Return to oven for 5-8 minutes.
3. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop squash. Top with pecan dirt, maple syrup, and salt. Serve with a shot of warm horchata.
Salad Daze is available online at amazon.com.