Everyone at some point in there life goes on a first date and wishes they were more knowledgeable in First Date Etiquette. While some are good at first dates, some are just a complete and utter train wreck. Lets face it, not everyone is born with natural composure while on a first date. If this is you, then you are in luck. Here’s some basic etiquette to follow while on a first date.
- Your horn shouldn’t be mistaken for a dog whistle. On a first date, you need to make sure to meet your date at her door and don’t be the guy that sits in the car and honks. She is not a dog, and shouldn’t be expected to come when called.
- Don’t be cheap. It is understood that times are tough, but it doesn’t take deep pockets in order to stop off and grab a single long stem rose. That extra step will go a long way when it comes to the initial meeting stage of the date, especially the first date. Most importantly, always pick up the tab.
- Chivalry doesn’t have to be dead. If you see that she is cold, don’t be too macho or think that it is too cliche to offer her your jacket. She may politely decline the offer, but the effort to show that you care will not go unnoticed.
- Put her needs ahead of your own. If you take her out to a restaurant, be sure to pull out her chair for her and try and stand up when she gets up from the table.
- Try and converse about something other than yourself. No one likes someone who just sits there and tries to talk themselves up the whole date. Take the time to ask her genuine questions about herself and be sure to actually take the time to listen to what she has to say. A relationship is a two way street, and she needs to know that you are capable of such a task.
- Try to think with the right head. As men, we don’t always think about the emotional side of a relationship and we just want to see what she looks like naked and in our bed. Well on the first date especially, try and keep the snake in the cage and try to refrain from mentioning sex at all unless she brings it up herself. In which case, please try and keep it appropriate and not go over the top with the details.
- Even if the date is a complete disaster, always remain a gentlemen. The date could be in complete ruins, she could be the most high maintenance, rude, and obnoxious women in the world, but whatever you do, maintain your composure and finish out the date with class. Why the whole “kill her with kindness” bit? Well think about it, she may just be showing her true colors and the two of you just weren’t meant to mesh well from the start; that doesn’t escape the fact that she still has friends. Are you catching where this is going? Think about it, a woman’s word to her friends about how you were on the date is as good as gold. You are officially in. Your hard work would have then paid off and you would have been marketed to possibly several of her hot, single friends. What did it cost you? Maybe the price of dinner or a movie ticket; which in the end is well worth it.
- Close the night by making sure you picked up the right signals. At the end of the date when you walk her to her door, be sure and take the right approach based on the signals she has been giving off throughout the date. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know if a girl is feeling you or not. If you feel that things went well and that she is into you, then move in for a kiss on the cheek. You can never go wrong with a kiss on the cheek on a first date. Even if she is not feeling a connection with you, she will still think you were a gentlemen and respect the fact that you didn’t try to stick your tongue down her throat.