For all the years of lovingly decrusted sandwiches and cure-all ginger ales, isn’t it about time Mom got some much-deserved culinary payback — in the form of soft-boiled eggs with savory cheese-flecked ramp and mushroom toast?
Here, Brooklyn-based food-styling duo The Jewels of New York share their recipe (achievable with your own two hands).
Soft-Boiled Egg with Ramp and Mushroom Toast
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. pork sausage, crumbled
- 4 large organic eggs
- 2 lbs. ramps, bulbs trimmed and cleaned (if unavailable, get leeks)
- 8 oz. wild mushrooms, trimmed and cleaned
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 slices peasant bread, toasted
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
How to make it?
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add sausage, stirring occasionally until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a small bowl and set aside. Reserve sausage drippings.
2. Place eggs in a medium saucepan; fill with enough water to cover eggs plus 1 inch. Bring water to a boil then remove from heat, cover with lid, and let stand 5-6 minutes.
3. Toss mushrooms and butter in sausage drippings for 3 minutes, scraping up the brown bits. Add ramps and season with salt and pepper. Saute 2-3 minutes, until lightly caramelized.
4. To serve, top each toast with ramp mixture and reserved sausage. Garnish with cheese. Shock eggs in ice water, then transfer to egg cups.
Sweeten the deal with The Jewels’s crème brulee French toast or an order of their gorgeous homemade sugar cookies.
The Jewels of New York (718-360-1951 or thejewelsofny.com).